U.S. authorities have filed money laundering charges against Alex Saab, whom prosecutors describe as a key intermediary for Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. Court documents unsealed on Monday accuse Saab of exploiting a Venezuelan welfare initiative to enrich himself and of funneling proceeds through U.S. bank accounts.
Saab, identified in the filings as a top ally of Maduro and a former Venezuelan minister of industry, was returned to the United States over the weekend after being deported by interim Venezuelan President Delcy Rodriguez. Rodriguez said the deportation was "justified by national interests." U.S. prosecutors allege Saab conspired to pay bribes to Venezuelan officials and used U.S. financial channels to move the proceeds.
Authorities say Saab, 55, made his initial court appearance on Monday afternoon in a Miami federal court. The court filings unsealed the charges that form the basis of the government's case in federal court.
The deportation and subsequent charges were described in the filings as reflecting an intensified level of cooperation between the Trump administration and Rodriguez, who previously served as Maduro's vice president. Prosecutors allege that Saab's actions included using U.S. bank accounts to transfer funds obtained through corrupt arrangements.
"These charges are a direct result of DEA's continued commitment to dismantle the corrupt networks operating throughout Venezuela," said U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration Administrator Terrance Cole.
The unsealed filings note that Saab's alleged conduct included bribery and the transfer of illicit funds. Separately, Saab has been identified as someone who could aid U.S. investigators. Reuters previously reported that Saab could provide information to strengthen the U.S. criminal case against Maduro.
The charges were announced as the administration of President Donald Trump makes preparations related to prosecution efforts involving Maduro, who the filings say was captured by U.S. special forces in Caracas earlier this year. The U.S. pursuit of Saab is tied directly to broader efforts described in the filings to address corrupt networks linked to Venezuela's government.
At this stage, the filings present the government's allegations and the case has moved to the federal court process in Miami, where Saab has appeared. Further developments will depend on the progression of legal proceedings and any cooperation Saab may or may not provide to investigators.