TAIPEI - Taiwan’s Defence Minister Wellington Koo said on Tuesday that he was "cautiously optimistic" about potential arms sales from the United States, after President Donald Trump indicated he was still considering whether to proceed with additional transfers to the Chinese-claimed island.
Koo spoke to reporters in parliament, addressing heightened unease in Taipei following last week’s meeting between Trump and China’s Xi Jinping, during which Taiwan was a topic of discussion. That meeting has prompted questions in Taiwan about the level of U.S. commitment to supporting the island’s defence capabilities.
Under U.S. law, the United States is obliged to provide Taiwan with defensive weapons, and in December the Trump administration authorised an $11 billion arms package, described at the time as the largest such sale. A second package estimated at around $14 billion had been announced but not formally approved.
Responding to reporters, Koo said the United States has consistently stated its Taiwan policy remains unchanged. He invoked the Taiwan Relations Act - the 1979 law that mandates arms sales - noting how arms transfers have long been a channel through which the United States contributes to peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait.
"For a long time, the United States has maintained peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait region through arms sales channels. This was established under the Taiwan Relations Act," Koo said in parliament.
He described weapons sales as an important "counterbalancing force" for upholding peace and stability in the strait, reiterating Taipei’s view that Beijing is the party repeatedly provoking incidents and undermining the peaceful and stable status quo there. "It is clear that the side repeatedly provoking, creating incidents and undermining the peaceful and stable status quo in the Taiwan Strait is China, not our country," he said.
Koo added that, given those circumstances, Taiwan believes maintaining the arms-sales channel aligns with U.S. interests. He said Taipei continues to engage with the United States on the matter and that "at present, we remain cautiously optimistic."
Separately, Taiwan’s government continues to reject Beijing’s sovereignty claims over the island, stating that only the people of Taiwan can determine their own future.