Shares of Synectics PLC fell by over 13% on Tuesday following publication of the company’s first-half results, which showed a significant contraction in revenue.
The security solutions provider reported a 37% drop in revenue for the period. Management attributed the decline primarily to the absence of a one-off gaming contract worth 7.8 million that had been recorded in the same period a year earlier. That single contract accounted for a material portion of the prior period's revenue, and its non-recurrence reduced reported sales in the current first half.
In addition to contract timing, Synectics cited delays to energy projects as a further drag on revenue. These delays were linked to disruptions arising from conflict-related issues in the Middle East, which affected the schedule for certain energy-sector work included in the company’s order book.
Despite the weaker top-line performance, Synectics reiterated that its strategic transformation programme is proceeding as planned. The company said it expects to see accelerated growth beginning in fiscal year 2027, indicating management's view that current headwinds are temporary relative to its stated multi-year plan.
Synectics also confirmed that its full-year guidance remains achievable. At the same time, management highlighted uncertainty around the timing of the energy projects that have been delayed, noting that the schedule for those projects could affect near-term results.
In a boardroom change, Synectics named Jon Kempster as interim chair, replacing Bob Holt OBE. The appointment was disclosed separately from the financial update.
The combination of the large prior-year one-off gaming contract, energy project timing issues related to Middle East disruptions, and the company's comments about the path to accelerated growth shaped investor reaction, with the shares moving sharply lower on the day of the results announcement.
Summary
Synectics reported a 37% fall in first-half revenue, driven mainly by the absence of a 7.8 million gaming contract from the prior year and by delays to energy projects linked to Middle East disruptions. The company said its transformation remains on track and expects faster growth from fiscal 2027, while maintaining that full-year guidance is achievable amid timing uncertainty for energy work. Jon Kempster was appointed interim chair.