Commodities August 18, 2026 05:48 AM

Iran Keeps Strait of Hormuz Closed Pending U.S. Compliance with June Accord

Top Iranian negotiator says the waterway will remain sealed until Washington meets a set of interim demands

By Avery Klein
Share
Twitter Reddit Facebook LinkedIn

Iran has declared the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States fulfills specific requirements outlined in an interim memorandum signed in June. Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, Iran's chief negotiator, told parliament that the U.S. must lift a blockade of Iranian ports, remove oil sanctions, release frozen Iranian assets and cease threats and military actions on all fronts before the strait will be reopened. The June 17 memorandum rapidly collapsed amid disagreement over control of the strategic waterway, which previously conveyed about one fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas flows.

Iran Keeps Strait of Hormuz Closed Pending U.S. Compliance with June Accord
Summarize with
ChatGPT Perplexity Claude Grok Gemini

Key Points

  • Closure of the Strait of Hormuz directly affects global oil and LNG supply routes and energy markets.
  • The June 17 memorandum included a 60-day window to negotiate a final deal, but disagreements over control of the strait caused the MoU to unravel.
  • Iran announced a potential shift to a more offensive posture amid stalled diplomatic efforts, increasing regional security uncertainty.

DUBAI, Aug 18 - Iran has announced that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets the conditions set out in an interim memorandum of understanding signed in June, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, the country's lead negotiator, said in remarks published by state media.

Speaking to parliament, Qalibaf listed the conditions that must be satisfied before the narrow waterway is allowed to reopen. According to his statement, Washington must lift what Iran describes as a blockade of Iranian ports, remove oil-related sanctions, free Tehran’s frozen assets, and halt threats and military operations on all fronts.

The memorandum of understanding, finalised on June 17, envisaged a path toward a broader, final agreement. That MoU included a commitment by Iran and the United States to negotiate a comprehensive deal - addressing wider matters such as the fate of Iran's nuclear programme - within a maximum of 60 days, with the possibility of extending that period by mutual consent.

However, the arrangement unraveled quickly after a dispute surfaced over control of the Strait of Hormuz. The strait is a strategically vital chokepoint and was responsible for transporting roughly one fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas flows prior to the outbreak of the conflict.

In early July, U.S. President Donald Trump declared the agreement "over" on July 7. About a week later, Iran's foreign ministry characterised the MoU as "suspended." More recently, a senior Iranian official said on Monday that Tehran would shift to a "fully offensive" posture as diplomatic efforts toward a permanent end to the conflict stalled.


Summary

  • Iran will keep the Strait of Hormuz closed until the United States meets conditions from an interim June agreement.
  • Conditions include lifting port blockades and oil sanctions, releasing frozen assets, and stopping military threats and operations.
  • The June 17 memorandum fell apart over control of the strait, a previous conduit for about one fifth of global oil and LNG flows.

Key points

  • Energy markets and global oil and LNG supply routes are directly implicated by the closure of the strait.
  • Diplomatic commitments under the June 17 MoU - including a 60-day window for negotiating a final deal - have been suspended amid disputes about control of the waterway.
  • Shifts in military posture by Iranian officials have been announced in response to stalled diplomacy, creating further uncertainty for regional security and shipping.

Risks and uncertainties

  • Continuation of the strait's closure poses a material risk to global energy shipments and could disrupt oil and LNG logistics.
  • Breakdown of the interim agreement and the stated move toward a more offensive posture raise uncertainty for regional maritime security and international trade routes.
  • Unresolved negotiations and the suspension of the MoU leave the timing and terms of any reopening of the strait unclear.

Risks

  • Prolonged closure of the strait could disrupt shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, impacting the energy sector and commodity markets.
  • The suspended MoU and contested control of the waterway increase geopolitical risk for shipping and trade routes.
  • Uncertainty about whether and when the U.S. will meet the MoU conditions leaves the timeline for reopening the strait unclear, affecting market planning and logistics.

More from Commodities

Canada’s Pipeline Buildout Faces a Supply Challenge as Oil Sands Producers Hold Back Aug 18, 2026 Oil edges up as tensions around Strait of Hormuz keep markets on alert Aug 17, 2026 Oil firms as prospects for a U.S.-Iran settlement fade, raising supply concerns Aug 17, 2026 Hichilema Wins Second Term as Opposition Makes Notable Gains Amid Cost-of-Living Gripes Aug 17, 2026 Gold Holds Near $4,450 as Fed Tightening Odds Ease and Geopolitical Strains Bolster Demand Aug 17, 2026