Nestle and Danone have come under renewed examination following reports from public broadcasters in France, Belgium and Switzerland that raised questions about the timing and scope of recalls of infant formula products potentially contaminated with a toxin.
The investigation published on Tuesday by Radio France, RTBF and RTS said the toxin cereulide - which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and is particularly risky for infants - was detected in an ingredient supplied by China-based CABIO Biotech. That ingredient was used by several infant formula manufacturers, including Nestle, Danone and Lactalis, and the discovery prompted recalls across a number of countries and concern among parents.
According to the reports, Nestle did not immediately notify European authorities after identifying the contamination. Nestle told the media it had followed a rigorous internal procedure that included assessment, traceability checks and identification of the affected products before issuing public recalls. Nestle did not immediately reply to an external request for comment on the publications.
Company statements previously indicated that low levels of cereulide were first identified in product samples in late November. Nestle said it ceased using all mixes containing the supplier’s arachidonic acid oil once contamination was confirmed on December 24. The company said it notified the supplier on December 29 and continued to analyse samples through January 3 to map the extent of the issue, and that public recalls began on January 5.
Radio France reported that 838,000 cans of infant formula were withheld from distribution beginning December 26 at a Nestle factory in northern France and at other production sites. The broadcaster added that products already on the market remained in distribution channels or in consumers’ homes for a period without an official recall or immediate notification to European authorities, despite regulatory requirements for prompt reporting when a health risk is identified.
The media outlets also reported that Nestle carried out what they described as "silent" withdrawals in Austria and Germany starting December 24, and that Danone products were removed from sale in January prior to public recall announcements. Danone did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
On the legal front, prosecutors in Bordeaux and Angers have said they have ruled out a link between the deaths of infants and the products later recalled. Radio France also reported that another investigation, initially opened in Meaux, was transferred to Paris.
The reporting has prompted additional scrutiny of the timeline and communications surrounding the contamination and recalls. The situation remains subject to investigations referenced by the public broadcasters, and companies and authorities cited in those reports have provided limited public comment beyond the timelines and actions described above.