WASHINGTON, May 18 - In a striking and unusual intervention by a senior Pentagon official, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Monday campaigned publicly for Republican candidate Ed Gallrein in Kentucky, criticizing incumbent Representative Thomas Massie in front of supporters and media. The contest is set for Tuesday and has become the most expensive House primary in U.S. history.
At the rally, Hegseth faulted Massie for positioning himself apart from the movement associated with President Donald Trump. "Too often, Thomas Massie has acted like his job is to stand apart from the movement that President Trump leads instead of strengthening it," Hegseth said, urging unity behind Gallrein.
The appearance drew attention because senior defense officials historically refrain from public involvement in electoral politics, particularly while the country is at war, to preserve the apolitical standing of the U.S. military. Since taking office last year, Hegseth has already challenged some institutional norms, including leading Christian prayer services at the Pentagon, comparing news reporters to enemies of Jesus, and seeking sanctions against a Democratic senator who had urged service members to reject unlawful orders.
Addressing legal concerns about the propriety of his participation, Hegseth said he attended the Kentucky event in a personal capacity. The Pentagon confirmed that his actions were reviewed and did not violate the Hatch Act, which restricts federal employees from using their official positions to influence elections. "No taxpayer dollars will be used to facilitate his visit. His participation has been thoroughly vetted and cleared by lawyers," said Sean Parnell, the Pentagon’s chief spokesman.
At the same rally, Hegseth described Gallrein as a candidate who would back Trump’s agenda and criticized Massie as an obstructionist. "When the movement needs unity, especially at the biggest moment, Massie’s willing to vote with Democrats," Hegseth said.
Massie, for his part, addressed the unfolding campaign dynamics in an interview on ABC’s "This Week" on Sunday, saying he benefits from fundraising boosts whenever President Trump mentions him on social media and suggesting the president is "desperate" to remove him from office.
The episode sits within a broader pattern of President Trump targeting Republicans who have crossed him. The article noted that Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who drew Trump’s ire after voting to convict the former president during his second impeachment trial in 2021, lost a re-election bid on Saturday after Trump endorsed a rival.
This intervention by the Defense Secretary in a high-profile, high-cost primary raises questions about the boundaries between personal political expression by senior officials and established norms designed to preserve the armed forces’ nonpartisan status. Hegseth and the Pentagon emphasized that legal safeguards were observed, while Massie highlighted the political consequences of clashing with the president.