World February 9, 2026

Uganda government spokesman condemns army raid on opposition leader’s residence

Official promises probe amid conflicting military statements and continued hiding of opposition figure

By Marcus Reed
Uganda government spokesman condemns army raid on opposition leader’s residence

Ugandan Information Minister Chris Baryomunsi criticized a recent military incursion into the residence of opposition leader Bobi Wine, saying Wine committed no crime and may return home. The incident, which Wine says led to his wife being hospitalised, has prompted a promised investigation even as military leadership issues mixed messages about detaining Wine and the country’s troop commitments abroad.

Key Points

  • Information Minister Chris Baryomunsi condemned an alleged military raid on opposition leader Bobi Wine’s home and said Wine had committed no crime and could return - sectors impacted: political risk, governance.
  • Bobi Wine fled his Kampala home hours before being declared the election runner-up and has been hiding; his wife was reported hospitalised after the alleged intrusion - sectors impacted: domestic stability and investor sentiment.
  • Baryomunsi said Uganda will not withdraw troops from the African Union mission in Somalia, contradicting recent comments by military chief Muhoozi Kainerugaba - sectors impacted: defence commitments and regional security.

Uganda’s Information Minister Chris Baryomunsi has publicly denounced a military operation last month at the home of opposition politician and former popstar Bobi Wine, saying the action was unacceptable and that Wine had not broken the law and was free to return to his residence.

Bobi Wine has remained out of public view for several weeks after leaving his home in Kampala hours ahead of being declared the runner-up in the January 15 presidential election. On January 24, Wine said soldiers entered his family home and that his wife was taken to hospital, alleging that troops partially undressed and choked her during the incursion.

The military’s top officer, Muhoozi Kainerugaba - who is also President Yoweri Museveni’s son - initially denied that soldiers assaulted Wine’s wife. He later posted on the social media platform X that they had "captured and then released" her. Baryomunsi told Reuters the matter would be subject to an investigation by authorities.

"We do not condone any acts of indiscipline on the side of the army and security forces," Baryomunsi said in an interview. "So invading his (Wine’s) home, causing damage, assaulting his wife, or anybody, is wrong." He declined to say whether security personnel would face penalties should investigations find legal breaches.

A spokesperson for Wine’s National Unity Platform did not respond to calls and messages seeking comment.

Kainerugaba has posted on social media that the military is searching for Wine, who has rejected the election outcome and alleged fraud. The army chief has not publicly explained the precise reasons for seeking Wine or specified any alleged crime he might face.

Human rights organisations and opposition figures have long accused the government of using military force to stifle dissent, allegations the administration denies.

On the question of international deployments, Baryomunsi said Uganda does not intend to withdraw its troops participating in an African Union mission to combat jihadists in Somalia. His statement stood in contrast to recent remarks by Kainerugaba, who last week warned on X that he might pull Ugandan forces from Somalia over financing concerns.

Kainerugaba has a record of contentious social media commentary that he sometimes removes. Those past posts have included threats directed at Wine and claims about the killing of opposition supporters. Baryomunsi suggested such posts should be viewed as "casual comments that do not reflect state policy and state decisions."


Context and current posture

Baryomunsi’s remarks place the government formally on record as condemning alleged misconduct by members of the armed forces while also indicating that an official inquiry will determine whether any laws were broken. At the same time, discrepancies between statements from the presidential family’s senior military figure and the government spokesperson have left questions about policy consistency, particularly regarding security operations at home and commitments abroad.

The situation remains fluid: Wine is still in hiding since leaving his Kampala residence, the alleged assault on his wife has been contested by military leadership, and the army chief’s social media posts continue to generate attention and controversy.

Risks

  • Outcome of the promised investigation into the alleged raid and any consequent disciplinary or legal actions against security personnel is uncertain - this affects perceptions of rule of law and could influence domestic political risk assessments.
  • Conflicting statements between government spokespeople and the military chief create uncertainty over official policy and coherence on both internal security operations and foreign troop commitments - this could affect defence planning and international cooperation.
  • The lack of clarity about why the military is seeking Bobi Wine and what charges, if any, he might face leaves legal and political risks unresolved - this uncertainty can affect investor confidence and the broader political environment.

More from World

Law Firms Prepare for Wave of Refund Suits After Supreme Court Restriction on Tariff Power Feb 20, 2026 Appeals Court Clears Way for Louisiana Ten Commandments Classroom Requirement Feb 20, 2026 Fitch Keeps UK at AA- Citing Flexible Economy but Flags High Debt and Policy Uncertainty Feb 20, 2026 Fitch Maintains Congo's CCC+ Rating, Flags Persistent Debt and Governance Weaknesses Feb 20, 2026 Moody's Upholds Sweden's Aaa Rating, Cites Strong Fiscal Fundamentals Feb 20, 2026