Police officers searched two properties associated with the younger brother of the king on Friday as an investigation into alleged improper handling of government material continued. The searches came after the man was arrested the previous day on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations that he sent confidential documents to financier Jeffrey Epstein while acting as a Special Representative for Trade and Investment.
The arrest took place on Thursday, the individual’s 66th birthday, and he was detained for more than 10 hours before being released under investigation. Authorities have not laid any charges. Photographs published widely showed him slumped in the back of a Range Rover after his release, with red-rimmed eyes and a look of disbelief.
Officers initially attended Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk early on Thursday morning in unmarked vehicles and dressed in plain clothes. Later, Thames Valley Police conducted searches at the former Windsor residence where the man had lived before being removed from the property last year. Police later said searches at Sandringham had concluded while those at Windsor continued.
Police statements noted that being arrested indicates there is reasonable suspicion that an offence has been committed and that the individual is suspected of involvement, but emphasised that an arrest does not imply guilt. The offence under investigation - misconduct in public office - carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and is dealt with in a Crown Court, which handles the most serious criminal matters.
Published files released by the U.S. government, referenced in the investigation, showed the man had maintained a friendship with Epstein after Epstein’s 2008 conviction for soliciting prostitution from a minor. Those files suggest he forwarded to Epstein British government reports on investment opportunities in Afghanistan and sent assessments concerning Vietnam, Singapore and other places he visited in his official capacity.
The arrest is highly unusual in the modern era for a senior royal figure. Authorities noted the rarity of the situation and the matter’s unprecedented nature in recent times; historical record cited that the last member of the royal family to be arrested in Britain was Charles I, who was executed in 1649 after being found guilty of treason. The current king has previously removed his brother’s prince title and ordered him to leave his Windsor residence amid public anger over the revelations related to Epstein.
Following news of the arrest, the king said he had learned of the event with "deepest concern" and underlined that "the law must take its course." He added that "what now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities."
The photograph of the former naval officer that appeared on front pages in Britain and overseas captured a stark image of his demeanour after release. Newspapers ran striking headlines, and commentators noted how the image contrasted with earlier perceptions of him as a once-dashing service officer and reputedly a favourite son of the late Queen Elizabeth.
Authorities have provided limited detail beyond confirming the arrest, the grounds for it, and the ongoing searches of properties connected to the individual. They stated that the searches at Sandringham had finished and that operations at Windsor were still under way. No charges have been filed, and the investigation remains active.
Context and process
The Crown Court jurisdiction for the alleged offence indicates the possible severity of the matter should charges be brought. However, police emphasised established legal principles: arrest signals reasonable suspicion, not guilt, and any later determination will depend on the full investigatory and judicial process.
Files made public by a U.S. authority form part of the factual material referenced by investigators. Those files are said to include evidence that the individual forwarded government documents to Epstein relating to foreign investment and country assessments, documents prepared or obtained while acting as a government trade envoy.
Current status
- The individual was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and released under investigation after more than 10 hours in police custody.
- Searches were conducted at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate and at a former Windsor residence; Sandringham searches concluded while Windsor searches continued at the time authorities updated the public.
- No charges have been filed and the investigation remains ongoing; the law enforcement statement reiterates that arrest is not proof of guilt.
The investigation’s progression and any subsequent legal steps will unfold through established criminal justice channels, including potential Crown Court proceedings if charges are brought. For now, official comment has been limited to procedural updates, photographic accounts of the individual’s demeanour after release, and the king’s public statement urging that the legal process be allowed to run its course.