French President Emmanuel Macron on Saturday called for restraint as demonstrations are scheduled to take place later in the day to commemorate a far-right activist who died last week. Speaking at the opening of the annual agricultural salon, he stressed that violence has no legitimacy in the Republic and said only official Republican forces should act to protect public order.
"In the Republic, no violence is legitimate. In the Republic, only Republican forces can act because they protect the Republican order. There is no place for militias,"
Macron also announced plans to convene a meeting next week with the prime minister and the ministers concerned to discuss violent groups. He said the government was on alert to try to ensure that the planned marches proceed without incident.
The rallies are being held in memory of Quentin Deranque, 23, who was beaten to death in a fight that was captured on camera and has provoked national shock. Police have expressed concern that the demonstrations could escalate, potentially involving clashes between opposing groups.
The largest gathering is scheduled for 3 p.m. in Lyon - the city where Deranque was killed and where both far-right and antifascist groups are present in notable numbers. The interior ministry has estimated that attendance at the Lyon march will be between 2,000 and 3,000 people. In addition to Lyon, smaller marches are planned in a number of other French towns.
Authorities, including local police and national security services, are maintaining heightened vigilance in the run-up to and during the demonstrations. Officials have signaled they will monitor events to try to prevent disorder and protect public safety, particularly in areas where opposing groups might come into contact.
Details on security deployments and specific contingency measures have not been outlined publicly beyond the government's statement that it is on alert and the planned ministerial meeting next week to address the issue of violent groups.