World February 8, 2026

Italian Leaders and IOC Criticize Violence After Protests Disrupt Milan Olympic Host City

Railway sabotage and clashes on opening weekend prompt government inquiry and IOC condemnation as Games continue

By Ajmal Hussain
Italian Leaders and IOC Criticize Violence After Protests Disrupt Milan Olympic Host City

On the first full day of competition at the Winter Games hosted by Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo, clashes between a breakaway group of protesters and police in Milan and suspected sabotage to the national rail network near Bologna prompted sharp criticism from Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and the International Olympic Committee. Authorities have opened a suspected terrorism investigation into the rail damage and say those responsible will face large damages claims, while the IOC reiterated that violence has no place at the Games.

Key Points

  • Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned the protesters involved in clashes and railway sabotage as "enemies of Italy" and praised workers running the Games.
  • Police say around 100 people broke away from a larger demonstration of about 10,000 and attacked officers with firecrackers, smoke bombs and bottles in Milan.
  • The Transport Ministry opened a suspected terrorism investigation after railway cables were cut near Bologna, causing delays up to 2-1/2 hours; the ministry warned of multimillion euro damages claims.
  • The International Olympic Committee stated that peaceful protest is legitimate but violence has no place at the Games and emphasised the event's message of unity and peace.

MILAN, Feb 8 - Tensions flared on the opening weekend of the Winter Games as anti-Olympics demonstrators clashed with police in Milan and suspected sabotage disrupted rail services elsewhere in Italy.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni sharply denounced the protesters involved in the confrontations and in damage to railway infrastructure, calling them "enemies of Italy." She contrasted their actions with the efforts of the many Italians working to ensure the smooth running and positive image of the Games. "Then there are those who are enemies of Italy and Italians, demonstrating 'against the Olympics' and ensuring that these images are broadcast on television screens around the world. After others cut the railway cables to prevent trains from departing," she wrote on Instagram.

The incidents occurred on the first full day of competition in the Winter Games, hosted by Milan along with Cortina d'Ampezzo. In Milan, a contingent of roughly 100 people who separated from a larger demonstration engaged with police, throwing firecrackers, smoke bombs and bottles. The wider protest drew an estimated 10,000 participants who marched over concerns about housing costs and environmental issues related to the Games.

Police recorded three separate episodes of damage on the national rail network on Saturday, including a sabotage incident near Bologna. Those events caused delays of up to 2-1/2 hours for high-speed, Intercity and regional services. The Transport Ministry said a probe into suspected terrorism had been launched and warned that those responsible would face a multimillion euro damages claim.

"Decisive action will be taken to put an end to such unacceptable acts, which only cause inconvenience to millions of Italians," the Transport Ministry said in a statement.

The International Olympic Committee also condemned the unrest. IOC spokesperson Mark Adams told reporters that "Peaceful protest is entirely legitimate... We draw a line at violence. That has no place at the Olympic Games." He added that organisers must "get on with the Games which will spread a strong message of unity and peace to the world, which I think is very important at this moment in time."

No group has claimed responsibility for the rail damage. Officials noted the disruption echoed a separate incident on the opening day of another recent Olympics where sabotage to a high-speed rail network created travel chaos.


As the Games proceed, authorities are balancing the right to peaceful demonstration with efforts to protect critical transport infrastructure and maintain public safety. Investigations into the rail incidents are ongoing and could lead to legal and financial consequences for those identified as responsible.

Risks

  • Further disruption to rail services could affect travel and logistics - this directly impacts the transport and travel sectors, and could have secondary effects on tourism and event operations.
  • Escalation of violent incidents or additional sabotage would increase security costs and legal liabilities for organisers and public authorities - affecting public spending on policing and emergency response.
  • Sustained negative media images from clashes or infrastructure attacks may harm public perception of the Games and local businesses reliant on tourism and hospitality services.

More from World

Law Firms Prepare for Wave of Refund Suits After Supreme Court Restriction on Tariff Power Feb 20, 2026 Appeals Court Clears Way for Louisiana Ten Commandments Classroom Requirement Feb 20, 2026 Fitch Keeps UK at AA- Citing Flexible Economy but Flags High Debt and Policy Uncertainty Feb 20, 2026 Fitch Maintains Congo's CCC+ Rating, Flags Persistent Debt and Governance Weaknesses Feb 20, 2026 Moody's Upholds Sweden's Aaa Rating, Cites Strong Fiscal Fundamentals Feb 20, 2026