Australia's centre-left government has rejected a Sunday media report that it is actively arranging the repatriation of Australians held in a camp in northern Syria that contains families of suspected Islamic State militants.
Government officials confirmed that the group of 34 women and children were released from the camp on Monday but were subsequently returned to the detention centre because of technical reasons. According to officials, the group is expected to travel to Damascus at some point prior to an eventual return to Australia. That proposed itinerary has drawn objections from both members of the ruling party and opposition lawmakers.
On Sunday, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke directly challenged the reporting in the Sunday Telegraph, saying the story overstated official activity. "In that report, it makes a claim that we are conducting a repatriation. We are not," Burke told Australian Broadcasting Corp television. He added: "It claims we have been meeting with the states for the purposes of a repatriation. We have not."
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who leads the Australian Labor Party, previously said this week that his government would not assist the group in returning to Australia.
The issue has become politically charged in Australia, where the return of relatives of suspected Islamic State militants is a contentious topic and has contributed to increased support for the right-wing, anti-immigration One Nation party led by Pauline Hanson.
The Australian government regards Islamic State as a listed terrorist organisation. Under Australian law, membership of the group can carry a prison term of up to 25 years. The government also has the authority to strip dual nationals of citizenship if they are members of Islamic State.
The unfolding situation remains constrained by the limited operational details released by officials. Authorities have described a sequence in which the group was released and then returned to detention for technical reasons and have indicated travel to Damascus is expected before any further movement toward Australia, while parliamentary objections persist.
Key factual points
- Thirty-four women and children were released from a Syrian camp on Monday but returned to the detention centre for technical reasons.
- Officials say the group is expected to travel to Damascus before any eventual return to Australia, a plan that has provoked objections from lawmakers across parties.
- Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke denied that the government is conducting a repatriation or meeting with states for that purpose.