Mexican federal officials on Tuesday said early interrogations of suspects in a mass abduction point to a case of mistaken identity that may have led to the deaths of 10 miners kidnapped from a silver mine in Sinaloa late last month.
Security Minister Omar Harfuch, speaking at President Claudia Sheinbaum’s daily press conference, said the detainees - four so far - told investigators that the victims were mistaken for members of a rival criminal group. "The detainees’ initial statements indicate that the victims were mistaken for members of a rival group," Harfuch said.
Harfuch identified the suspects as members of the Chapitos faction of the Sinaloa cartel, led by the sons of former drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, and said that the faction is engaged in conflict with another group known as the Mayos. Authorities believe the kidnapped miners were confused with members of the Mayos.
Authorities in Sinaloa reported on Monday that search operations had recovered 10 bodies in connection with the disappearance of the workers at the mine operated by Canada’s Vizsla Silver Corp. The Mexican attorney general’s office, however, has so far been able to formally identify only five of those remains.
Mexico’s federal government responded to the abduction by deploying more than 1,000 troops to the area, including elite marines, with the stated mission of locating the missing miners and stabilizing the region. Harfuch said additional arrests are anticipated as the investigation continues.
The security minister noted that authorities have not received prior complaints or reports of extortion or criminal harassment involving Vizsla Silver Corp at that mine, while acknowledging that similar incidents involving companies have occurred elsewhere in the country and led to investigations and arrests.
Officials have provided limited public detail beyond the detainees’ initial statements and the numbers disclosed: 10 miners kidnapped, 10 bodies recovered, five formally identified, and four suspects detained. The government has emphasized that the probe is ongoing and that further law enforcement actions are expected.
Contextual note: Authorities attribute the incident to cartel conflict dynamics in the region and have concentrated security and investigative resources on the case. Public statements to date have focused on initial suspect testimony and the status of the recovered remains.