Politics February 3, 2026

Four Indicted in Massachusetts Over Scheme That Diverted SNAP and Pandemic Unemployment Benefits

Prosecutors say stolen identities were used to extract more than $1 million from federal aid programs tied to food purchases and unemployment claims

By Leila Farooq
Four Indicted in Massachusetts Over Scheme That Diverted SNAP and Pandemic Unemployment Benefits

Federal authorities in Massachusetts charged four individuals for allegedly using 115 stolen identities to obtain over $1 million in benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. Prosecutors say the fraud financed bulk food purchases for a restaurant and generated more than $700,000 from false unemployment claims across multiple states.

Key Points

  • Prosecutors allege four individuals used 115 stolen identities to fraudulently obtain more than $1 million in SNAP and Pandemic Unemployment Assistance benefits.
  • Alleged SNAP fraud totaled about $440,000 from 2023 to 2025 and was used to buy bulk food for a restaurant tied to one defendant; fraudulent PUA claims generated over $700,000 during 2020-2021 across multiple states.
  • The case highlights tensions between federal enforcement efforts and state resistance to sharing SNAP recipient data with the U.S. Department of Agriculture; Massachusetts received over $2.6 billion in SNAP funds in fiscal 2025.

Federal prosecutors in Massachusetts announced charges on Tuesday against four people accused of using 115 stolen identities to secure more than $1 million in benefits from two federal aid programs, according to court filings and statements from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Officials said the defendants allegedly used the pilfered identities to obtain Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - SNAP - benefits in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Prosecutors contend those benefits were used to purchase large quantities of chicken, beef, pork and other bulk food items for a restaurant owned by one of the defendants.

At a press conference in Boston, U.S. Attorney Leah Foley said the scheme produced roughly $440,000 in SNAP benefits obtained fraudulently from 2023 to 2025. She noted that SNAP benefits are administered by states.

"[T]he extraordinary amount of benefit fraud we are seeing across the country" and this case is "just a snapshot of the bigger picture," Foley said. "It is no secret that there is rampant fraud across this nation."

Prosecutors also said the defendants inflated their take by submitting fraudulent applications for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, a program that provided emergency jobless benefits during the pandemic. The filings allege more than $700,000 in improper PUA payments resulted from claims made in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Nevada between 2020 and 2021.

The four charged individuals are identified in court records as:

  • Raul Fernandez Vicioso - a naturalized U.S. citizen from the Dominican Republic who owned El Primo Restaurant in Leominster, Massachusetts. Court records indicate he has agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy and fraud charges.
  • Joel Vicioso Fernandez - a lawful permanent resident from the Dominican Republic.
  • Roman Vequiz Fernandez - a cousin of Joel, identified as a Venezuelan who previously had temporary protected status but no longer has lawful status.
  • Coralba Albarracin Siniva - another cousin, also a Venezuelan who previously held temporary protected status but no longer has lawful status. A lawyer for Albarracin said she will plead not guilty.

The other defendants were arrested and face fraud-related charges filed in federal court in Worcester, Massachusetts. Court records and local prosecutors indicate that attorneys for the remaining defendants did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Prosecutors said the current case follows prior enforcement activity by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Massachusetts. In December, Foley charged two store owners in what prosecutors described as a separate $7 million SNAP trafficking scheme in the state. During that earlier announcement, Foley criticized several Democratic-led states, including Massachusetts, for declining to provide the U.S. Department of Agriculture with certain SNAP recipient data - including names and immigration status.

Massachusetts, which received over $2.6 billion in SNAP benefits from the USDA in fiscal year 2025, has resisted the federal administration's threats to withhold SNAP funding from states that do not share that information. State officials and Democratic leaders have argued that supplying such data could be used for immigration enforcement, a concern Foley raised in discussing federal enforcement priorities.


This matter remains before the courts as prosecutions proceed and at least one defendant has indicated an intention to plead guilty while another intends to plead not guilty.

Risks

  • Ongoing legal uncertainty - With defendants indicating different plea intentions and cases pending in federal court, outcomes and potential recoveries are unresolved, affecting prosecution timelines and resource allocation in the justice system. This has implications for legal services and court administration.
  • Policy and funding disputes - Continued resistance by states to share SNAP recipient data with federal agencies may heighten the risk of federal-state conflict over benefit program compliance and funding, which could affect state social services operations and USDA-state relations.
  • Program integrity concerns - Allegations of large-scale benefit fraud may pressure administrators of social safety net programs to invest more in fraud prevention and verification, potentially increasing compliance costs for state agencies and vendors in the benefits and retail food sectors.

More from Politics

U.S. proposal would suspend asylum work permits until processing times fall, DHS says Feb 20, 2026 Trump Banner Appears at Justice Department Headquarters, Part of Broader Push to Stamp Presidential Identity on Federal Buildings Feb 19, 2026 Florida Legislature Votes to Rename Palm Beach International Airport for President Trump Feb 19, 2026 U.S. Proposal Would Relax Nuclear Safeguards in Draft Saudi Pact, Document Shows Feb 19, 2026 Commission of Fine Arts Gives Unanimous Approval to $400 Million White House Ballroom Plan Feb 19, 2026