WASHINGTON - U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said on Sunday that officials from partner countries have not communicated intentions to abandon existing tariff arrangements with the United States after a recent Supreme Court decision removed legal cover for a significant portion of a previous administration's tariff program.
Speaking on CBS's Face the Nation, Greer said he remains engaged in active discussions with governments that previously reached trade agreements with Washington. He added that officials are working to clarify the implications of the court's ruling for those arrangements.
"I haven't heard anyone yet come to me and say the deal is off," Greer said.
Greer noted that he has already had a conversation with his counterpart from the European Union and that he expects further talks with additional partners in the days ahead. Those meetings, he said, are part of efforts by governments to assess the combined impact of the court decision and the United States' subsequent announcement of a new global tariff framework.
The remarks were delivered amid heightened uncertainty about U.S. trade policy. The Supreme Court's action - which struck down a large portion of the previous tariff program - and the administration's response in the form of a new tariff structure have raised questions about the durability and terms of existing trade arrangements.
Greer's comments emphasize that, as of his latest contacts, partner governments have not signaled a desire to terminate deals. He indicated ongoing engagement and further consultations as officials seek clarity on the legal and policy changes now unfolding.
The situation remains fluid, with bilateral and multilateral discussions expected to continue while governments interpret the court's decision and Washington's policy steps.
Key takeaways:
- Trade partners have not informed the U.S. they intend to withdraw from prior tariff agreements.
- Greer has spoken with the European Union counterpart and plans more discussions with other partners.
- Both the Supreme Court ruling and the administration's new global tariff framework are driving current consultations and uncertainty.