India and the United States are aiming to sign a formal trade agreement in March, Trade Minister Piyush Goyal said on Thursday, providing the first official timeline for adoption since the deal was unveiled earlier in the week.
According to Goyal, the two governments will issue a joint statement within four to five days. That statement is expected to trigger a U.S. decision to cut duties on Indian exports to 18% from the current 50% level, he added.
The trade arrangement was announced as a surprise by President Donald Trump. The administration's version of the deal reduces U.S. tariffs on Indian goods while India agrees to halt purchases of Russian oil and to lower trade barriers, according to the description provided at announcement.
Beyond tariff changes, Goyal quantified the scale of planned purchases from the United States over the coming five years. He said India will import at least $500 billion worth of U.S. products and services, naming energy, aircraft and semiconductor chips among the categories expected to account for the flow of goods.
Goyal also addressed potential aerospace orders. He said commitments from Indian buyers to U.S. planemakers such as Boeing could total between $70 billion and $80 billion. "If you add engines, it will probably cross $100 billion," he said.
These figures and the timetable represent the Indian government's current public articulation of the agreement and its anticipated economic implications. The minister's comments set specific expectations for tariff adjustments and procurement volumes tied to the pact but do not provide further operational detail on implementation steps or sector-specific timelines beyond the procurement categories noted.
The announcement frames a package of reciprocal concessions: reduced U.S. tariffs on Indian products in return for changes in India’s energy sourcing and reductions in market access barriers. The scope of imports India plans from the United States - notably in energy, aerospace and semiconductors - highlights immediate sectors likely to see increased commercial activity if the commitments translate into finalized contracts and deliveries.
For now, the governments intend to move forward with a public joint statement as the next step, followed by the formal signing targeted in March.