Commodities February 10, 2026

Codelco Says El Teniente Output Will Stay Suppressed for About Five Years

Mine chief signals prolonged lower copper production after deadly collapse left part of the operation closed

By Leila Farooq
Codelco Says El Teniente Output Will Stay Suppressed for About Five Years

Codelco's El Teniente mine will see reduced copper output for roughly the next five years, the mine head said on Tuesday. Production is expected to be about 301,000 metric tons this year, and a section of the mine remains closed following a collapse that killed several workers. Company officials say study results will guide attempts to recover minerals on the north side of the site.

Key Points

  • Codelco's El Teniente is expected to produce about 301,000 metric tons of copper this year and to remain at similar output levels for roughly five years.
  • A collapse at the mine last year killed several workers and a section of the site has stayed closed, constraining production.
  • Attempts to recover minerals from the north side of the mine depend on the findings of ongoing studies; the longer production shortfall has implications for the mining and commodities sectors.

Claudio Sougarret, the head of operations at Codelco's El Teniente mine, said on Tuesday that production at the site will remain at a lower level for around the next five years following last year's deadly incident that affected output.

Sougarret said the mine expects to produce 301,000 metric tons of copper this year. "We hope to be able to push that up a bit," he added, while cautioning that volumes would "likely be around there, and will be there for the next five years."

The company had previously indicated that production would be impacted for the next three years. That earlier estimate has since been revised as operations continue to contend with the consequences of the collapse that killed several workers and left a portion of the mine shuttered.

Regarding recovery prospects, Sougarret said the company is relying on technical studies to determine whether ore can be reclaimed from the affected area. "We hope that, based on the studies weve done, were able to recover the minerals on the north side (of the mine)," he said.

The comments underline a sustained period of constrained output at one of the world's largest copper-producing sites. Management expectations for production this year and the projected multi-year shortfall reflect the ongoing operational and safety-related challenges associated with the collapsed area and the steps required to assess and potentially restore access to mineral-bearing zones.


What this means

  • El Teniente's near-term output will be subdued, with management forecasting roughly 301,000 metric tons of copper this year and anticipating similar levels for several years.
  • A section of the mine remains closed following a collapse that resulted in multiple fatalities; recovery efforts depend on the outcome of technical studies.
  • The company has adjusted its earlier three-year production impact estimate to reflect a longer, about five-year, period of depressed output.

Risks

  • Prolonged lower output from El Teniente - impacts mining, copper supply and commodity markets.
  • Uncertainty over recovering minerals on the north side of the mine - affects timing and scale of any production ramp-up.
  • A shuttered portion of the mine following a fatal collapse - creates operational and safety-related uncertainty for the site and the broader mining operations.

More from Commodities

Cuba Turns to Solar as Fuel Supplies and Power Grid Strain Under U.S. Measures Feb 20, 2026 Citigroup Maps Out Oil Price Paths as U.S.-Iran Tensions Mount Feb 20, 2026 Oil Rises, Tech and Credit Nervous as Geopolitics and AI Spending Reshape Markets Feb 20, 2026 EPA to Roll Back Mercury and Air Toxics Limits on Coal Plants, Citing Grid Reliability Feb 20, 2026 Raymond James: U.S. Military Action in Iran 'Likely at This Stage' as Tensions Rise Feb 20, 2026