TAIPEI, Feb 13 - A bipartisan delegation of 37 United States lawmakers has formally urged senior Taiwanese officials to act on a stalled defence spending plan, saying the danger posed by China to Taiwan is intensifying.
The lawmakers addressed a letter to several leading figures in Taiwan's political landscape, including parliament speaker Han Kuo-yu, the leaderships of the Kuomintang (KMT) and Taiwan Peoples Party (TPP), and the caucus whip for the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP). The correspondence expresses concern that Taiwan's legislative impasse is delaying measures the signatories say are needed to respond to an increasingly assertive Beijing.
President Lai Ching-te proposed a special defence budget last year that would add $40 billion in extra spending to bolster Taiwan's capabilities against China, which regards the island as its own territory. According to the letter, the United States and Taiwan maintain a "strong and enduring partnership," but the lawmakers warned that the threat from the People's Republic of China "has never been greater" and that Chinese leader Xi Jinping is directing the full weight of the PRC's national power toward controlling Taiwan.
"We commend Taiwan for making important progress in strengthening its military readiness, reserve forces, and asymmetric defence capabilities," the letter states. "Nevertheless, we fear that without significant increases in Taiwan's defence spending at levels reflected in President Lai's proposed special budget, this progress will be insufficient."
The letter acknowledged that the United States must work on the large backlog of weapons deliveries to Taiwan, but it also said Taipei needs to increase its own defence investments. It criticised the current legislative stalemate, noting that while the opposition - which holds a parliamentary majority - has refused to take up Lai's proposal, it has advanced alternative, less costly plans that would fund only some of the U.S. systems the president seeks to acquire.
Among the signatories to the U.S. letter were Senators Pete Ricketts and Chris Coons, identified as senior members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, along with Representatives Young Kim and Ami Bera, noted as senior members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. The correspondence follows other public expressions from U.S. lawmakers alarmed by the lack of movement on the budget.
There was no immediate reply to the letter from the KMT or the TPP. Both parties say they back defence spending in principle but insist they will not approve unrestricted funding and have a responsibility to scrutinise budget proposals thoroughly. The DPP issued a statement signalling its agreement with the letter and urging recipients to read it carefully.
Taiwan's defence minister warned on Wednesday that the delay in passing the special budget risks a "rupture" in the shared line of defence against China. President Lai has repeatedly called on parliament to approve the spending measure.
The United States remains Taiwan's primary international backer and its chief supplier of arms, despite the absence of formal diplomatic relations. The article noted that the Trump administration previously pressed U.S. allies to raise defence spending - an approach embraced by Lai's administration. It also reiterated that China has not renounced the use of force to bring Taiwan under its control. Lai has said he has offered talks with Beijing, but those offers have been rebuffed, and he maintains that only the people of Taiwan may decide the island's future.