World February 12, 2026

U.S. Justice Department Seeks Dismissal of Charges Tied to Minneapolis ICE Shooting

Top federal prosecutor cites newly discovered evidence inconsistent with earlier accounts in case involving Venezuelan immigrant wounded by ICE officer

By Jordan Park
U.S. Justice Department Seeks Dismissal of Charges Tied to Minneapolis ICE Shooting

The U.S. Department of Justice has moved to drop assault charges against two men connected to a January incident in Minneapolis in which an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer shot a Venezuelan immigrant. The U.S. attorney in Minnesota says newly discovered evidence undermines the prior allegations; the request asks the court to dismiss the charges with prejudice.

Key Points

  • Justice Department has moved to drop assault charges against two men linked to a January Minneapolis incident involving ICE.
  • U.S. Attorney Daniel Rosen requested dismissal with prejudice, citing newly discovered evidence inconsistent with prior allegations.
  • Unsealed FBI affidavit contradicts the Department of Homeland Security’s initial account on aspects such as whose license plate was scanned, who occupied the vehicle, and actions immediately before the shooting.
  • Sectors impacted include government services and law enforcement operations, legal services and the courts, and civil rights advocacy groups that monitor enforcement actions.

The U.S. Justice Department has filed a motion to dismiss criminal charges against two men accused of assaulting Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers during a January incident in Minneapolis that culminated in an ICE officer shooting a Venezuelan immigrant.

In a court filing, the top federal prosecutor in Minnesota, Daniel Rosen, asked a judge to dismiss the case, stating that "newly discovered evidence in this matter is materially inconsistent with the allegations." Rosen asked that the dismissal be with prejudice, which would bar the government from refiling the same charges.

The shooting wounded Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, a Venezuelan national. The encounter occurred amid a broader escalation of federal immigration enforcement activity in Minnesota under the Trump administration. Initial accounts released by the Department of Homeland Security described a targeted traffic stop on Sosa-Celis, saying he sped away, crashed his vehicle and fled on foot. DHS said at that time that officers pursuing him were struck with a snow shovel and a broom handle by Sosa-Celis and two other men, and that an ICE officer fired in response.

Subsequent court documents that were unsealed presented a different sequence. An FBI affidavit says ICE officers scanned a license plate registered to a different person suspected of an immigration violation, which led officers to pursue the wrong individual. According to the affidavit, the person who had been driving the car was the sole occupant at the time of the crash - not Sosa-Celis.

The affidavit states that the actual driver, another Venezuelan immigrant, crashed the vehicle and fled to an apartment building where Sosa-Celis was also present. At the building, the affidavit says, an ICE officer attempting to detain the driver was struck by that individual and by Sosa-Celis with a broom, while a third man used a shovel. The officer fired during that confrontation.

However, the FBI affidavit also indicates a different detail about the moments leading to the discharge of the firearm. It says the alleged assailants dropped the broom and shovel when they saw the officer draw his gun and were fleeing as he fired, a contrast with the Department of Homeland Security’s initial statement that the officer had fired a defensive shot to defend his life while being attacked.

The administration’s deployment of armed federal immigration agents in Minnesota has prompted protests nationwide. Rights advocates have said the enforcement actions have made the environment unsafe for both citizens and immigrants and have raised concerns about due process protections. The dispute over the factual record in this case highlights the competing accounts surrounding the operation.

Tom Homan, identified as the administration’s border czar, said the president agreed to end the deportation surge in Minnesota.


Legal status and next steps

The motion filed by the U.S. attorney asks the court to dismiss the charges permanently, reflecting the government’s assessment that material evidence undermines the foundation of the original allegations. The filing does not add new factual claims about the incident beyond what is contained in the court documents and the affidavit.

Context noted in filings

Court records and agency statements present differing narratives about who was in the vehicle, how the stop unfolded, and the conduct of those involved at the scene where the officer fired. Those discrepancies form the basis for the prosecutor’s request to dismiss the indictment with prejudice.

Risks

  • Evidentiary uncertainty - Conflicting official accounts and newly disclosed evidence create uncertainty about the factual record, affecting legal resolution and public confidence. This impacts the legal services and public sector sectors.
  • Public reaction and unrest - Nationwide protests tied to the administration’s deployment of armed immigration agents and recent fatal shootings could sustain political and social tensions, with potential effects on local government operations and community safety perceptions.
  • Policy and enforcement shifts - Statements that a deportation surge in Minnesota will end introduce uncertainty for immigration enforcement contractors and related public spending, as well as for communities and organizations involved in immigration services.

More from World

Kim Jong Un Reviews Five Years of 'Great Transformation' at Workers' Party Congress Feb 20, 2026 Catholic clergy regain access to Broadview immigration center, distribute ashes and communion after court order Feb 20, 2026 Congress Poised to Vote on Curtailing President’s Authority to Strike Iran as Military Prepares Feb 20, 2026 Tentative Agreement Reached to End Six-Week Nurses Strike in New York City Feb 20, 2026 Trump Says He Is Weighing a Limited Military Strike on Iran Feb 20, 2026