World February 12, 2026

U.S. Judge Refuses BBC Request to Pause Discovery in Trump Defamation Suit

Merits-based discovery will proceed in the $10 billion case alleging edited BBC footage misrepresented Jan. 6 remarks; trial set for February 2027

By Maya Rios
U.S. Judge Refuses BBC Request to Pause Discovery in Trump Defamation Suit

A U.S. federal judge has denied the BBC's motion to suspend merits-based discovery in a $10 billion lawsuit filed by former U.S. President Donald Trump over edited coverage of his January 6, 2021 remarks. The judge found the broadcaster's request premature and said it had not shown it would suffer prejudice if discovery moves forward. A two-week trial has been scheduled for February 2027.

Key Points

  • Judge Roy Altman denied the BBC's request to stay merits-based discovery, calling the motion premature and finding no demonstrated prejudice.
  • The lawsuit accuses the BBC of defaming Donald Trump by editing his January 6, 2021 speech to create the impression he directed supporters to storm the U.S. Capitol; the complaint seeks at least $5 billion per count, totaling at least $10 billion.
  • A two-week trial has been scheduled for February 2027; the BBC says it will defend the case and seeks dismissal based on lack of Florida jurisdiction and the argument the plaintiff cannot prove damages because he was re-elected after the broadcast.

LONDON, Feb 12 - A U.S. district court has declined a request from the British Broadcasting Corporation to put a hold on discovery in the $10 billion lawsuit lodged by Donald Trump, court documents show.

The lawsuit centers on an edited BBC broadcast that, the complaint alleges, spliced together segments of the former president's January 6, 2021 speech in a way that made it appear he directed supporters to storm the U.S. Capitol. The amended sequence cited in the complaint reportedly joined sections where he told supporters to march on the Capitol and where he said "fight like hell," while omitting a longer passage in which he called for peaceful protest.

Mr. Trump has sued the publicly owned broadcaster for defamation and for violations of a Florida statute prohibiting deceptive and unfair trade practices. The complaint seeks at least $5 billion in damages for each of the lawsuit's two counts, a total of at least $10 billion.

U.S. District Judge Roy Altman denied the BBC's application on Wednesday to stay the merits-based discovery phase - the part of litigation when both sides may obtain evidence from other parties in the case. According to the documents, the judge characterized the broadcaster's motion as premature and concluded it had not demonstrated it would be prejudiced if discovery were allowed to proceed.

In a separate order, the judge scheduled a two-week trial to begin in February 2027.

The BBC declined to comment. The broadcaster has previously indicated it will defend the litigation and move to dismiss the complaint. In its stated defense, the BBC has argued the court lacks jurisdiction because it did not broadcast the programme in Florida. It also contends the plaintiff cannot establish damages because he was re-elected after the programme aired.


Contextual note: The documents filed in court describe the discovery phase and the BBC's contention that a stay is unwarranted; the judge's rulings set the procedural timeline toward a February 2027 trial.

Risks

  • Legal uncertainty for media organizations stemming from high-value defamation claims could affect newsrooms and broadcasters - sector impact: media.
  • Extended discovery and protracted litigation timelines may increase legal costs and operational distraction for the parties involved - sector impact: media and legal services.
  • Jurisdictional questions and disputes over demonstrable damages could leave case outcomes uncertain until trial, affecting corporate risk assessments for broadcasters - sector impact: media and law.

More from World

Kim Jong Un Reviews Five Years of 'Great Transformation' at Workers' Party Congress Feb 20, 2026 Catholic clergy regain access to Broadview immigration center, distribute ashes and communion after court order Feb 20, 2026 Congress Poised to Vote on Curtailing President’s Authority to Strike Iran as Military Prepares Feb 20, 2026 Tentative Agreement Reached to End Six-Week Nurses Strike in New York City Feb 20, 2026 Trump Says He Is Weighing a Limited Military Strike on Iran Feb 20, 2026