Politics February 4, 2026

Trump Declines to Back Vance or Rubio as 2028 Successor, Leaves Door Open on Endorsement

President praises both JD Vance and Marco Rubio but resists choosing a successor now; again raises possibility of remaining in office past 2028

By Sofia Navarro
Trump Declines to Back Vance or Rubio as 2028 Successor, Leaves Door Open on Endorsement

President Donald Trump said he would prefer not to take sides between Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio as potential successors in the 2028 Republican presidential contest, praising both men and delaying any endorsement. He also reiterated an earlier, controversial suggestion that he might be president when the next term begins in January 2029, saying, "I don't know. It would be interesting."

Key Points

  • Trump declined to choose between Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio as his likely successor for the 2028 Republican presidential contest; he said he would "be inclined" to endorse but preferred not to do so now. - Sectors impacted: not specified in the article.
  • JD Vance has said he will discuss the possibility of running with Trump after the November midterm elections; Rubio has not ruled out a 2028 bid and has praised Vance. - Sectors impacted: not specified in the article.
  • Trump characterized both men as highly intelligent and suggested their differing styles could complement one another on a joint ticket, which he said would be "very hard to be beaten." The article also notes expectations of a wide-open, crowded 2028 race. - Sectors impacted: not specified in the article.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday declined to pick a favored successor between his vice president, JD Vance, and his secretary of state, Marco Rubio, saying he did not want to engage in a public dispute between them even as he signaled he might ultimately endorse someone closer to the election.

When asked during an interview with NBC News whether he would back Vance or Rubio as the most likely candidate to follow him in 2028, Trump said he would "be inclined" to endorse a successor but that he preferred not to address the subject at this time. "We have three years to go. I don't want to, you know, I have two people that are doing a great job. I don't want to have an argument with, or I don't want to use the word 'fight' — it wouldn't be a fight. But look, JD is fantastic, and Marco is fantastic," he said.

Vance, a former Republican senator from Ohio, has indicated that he plans to speak with Trump about the possibility of launching a presidential campaign after the November midterm elections. Rubio, who served as a senator from Florida and sought the Republican nomination in 2016 before losing to Trump, has not ruled out a 2028 bid and has spoken favorably about Vance as a strong potential candidate.

Trump suggested that the two men could complement one another on the same ticket, a pairing he has often advocated. He described both as highly intelligent and capable, while distinguishing their approaches. "I would say one is slightly more diplomatic than the other," he said, adding that "I think there’s a difference in style. You know, you can see the style yourself. But they’re both very capable. I do think this: The combination of JD and Marco would be very hard to be beaten, I think. But you never know in politics, right?"

The president also reiterated a comment that had drawn attention last year when he suggested the possibility of remaining in office beyond the customary two terms - a prospect widely regarded as unconstitutional. Asked whether he could envision "any scenario" in which he would still be president when the next president's term begins in January 2029, Trump replied: "I don't know. It would be interesting." He had previously raised the idea last year but later stepped away from it.

Political operatives and observers expect the 2028 race to be highly contested on both sides of the aisle, with a broad field of contenders likely to emerge. In the meantime, Trump emphasized his current confidence in both Vance and Rubio while declining to make an immediate choice that might pit one aide against the other.


Note on scope: The reporting above is limited to statements and developments detailed by the subject in the interview and related public remarks; it does not include additional analysis or external claims beyond those expressed by the individuals cited.

Risks

  • Uncertainty over Republican succession and potential intra-party competition could create political volatility; the article does not specify which economic sectors would be affected.
  • The president's renewed remark about the possibility of remaining in office past January 2029 introduces constitutional ambiguity and political uncertainty; the article does not link this directly to market or sector outcomes.
  • The timeline for any formal endorsement is unclear - Trump said "We have three years to go" - leaving the situation fluid and subject to change as multiple candidates consider runs; the piece does not identify particular sectors impacted.

More from Politics

U.S. proposal would suspend asylum work permits until processing times fall, DHS says Feb 20, 2026 Trump Banner Appears at Justice Department Headquarters, Part of Broader Push to Stamp Presidential Identity on Federal Buildings Feb 19, 2026 Florida Legislature Votes to Rename Palm Beach International Airport for President Trump Feb 19, 2026 U.S. Proposal Would Relax Nuclear Safeguards in Draft Saudi Pact, Document Shows Feb 19, 2026 Commission of Fine Arts Gives Unanimous Approval to $400 Million White House Ballroom Plan Feb 19, 2026