WASHINGTON, Feb 10 - The National Governors Association has scrapped a White House meeting scheduled as part of its winter gathering after the White House excluded Democratic governors from the guest list, NGA chairman Kevin Stitt informed members, according to a source familiar with the matter.
The NGA convenes governors from across the United States each year in Washington. Traditionally, the president hosts governors at the White House for a briefing with Cabinet secretaries and other senior officials and holds a black-tie dinner for governors and their spouses. This year’s White House session had been set for February 20 as part of the association’s annual winter meeting.
In a statement responding to the cancellation, Brandon Tatum, CEO of the bipartisan association that represents U.S. governors, said: "To disinvite individual governors to the White House sessions undermines an important opportunity for federal-state collaboration." He added: "At this moment in our nation’s history, it is critical that institutions continue to stand for unity, dignity and constructive engagement."
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt addressed the matter at a briefing, saying the president "can invite whomever he wants to dinner and events here at the White House." She added: "He welcomes all those who received an invitation to come and if they don’t want to, that’s their loss."
The NGA’s leadership comprises nine members and includes both Republican and Democratic governors. Republican Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt serves as chairman, while Maryland Governor Wes Moore, a Democrat, is the association’s vice chairman.
The New York Times reported last week that the president intended to hold a separate, bipartisan dinner for governors and their spouses at the White House. According to that reporting, invitations for Moore and Democratic Colorado Governor Jared Polis were personally blocked by the president.
David Turner, a spokesperson for Governor Moore, criticized the White House’s handling of the guest list. He said: "The National Governors Association has a long tradition of bipartisan gatherings to trade best practices and ideas, regardless of party affiliation. It’s what Americans expect and deserve and unfortunately, the White House does not seem to feel the same."
A spokesperson for Governor Polis did not immediately respond when reached for comment.
The cancellation highlights tensions around participation in what has been an institutional forum for governors and federal officials to coordinate on policy and administration. The association’s decision to withdraw from the White House session followed the reported exclusion of specific Democratic governors from invitations to official events tied to the NGA meeting.
Officials involved in the NGA leadership represent both parties, and the association has for years served as a venue for cross-party exchange on governance issues. The announced change to the White House guest list prompted leadership and spokespeople to frame the exclusion as a setback for intergovernmental cooperation.
As of the announcement, the scheduled February 20 White House meeting will not proceed under the NGA’s participation, and the association is awaiting further developments regarding the format and attendees for any alternate engagements tied to the governors’ winter gathering.