WASHINGTON, Feb 12 - In an interview made public Thursday by NBC News, Venezuela's interim leader Delcy Rodríguez said she has received an invitation to travel to the United States and that a trip is under consideration. The comments were released as U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright visited Caracas.
"I have been invited to the States," Rodríguez was quoted as saying. "We’re contemplating coming there once we establish this cooperation and we can move forward with everything." The statement frames potential engagement between Rodríguez's interim government and U.S. officials at a time when energy relations are under scrutiny.
Rodríguez, who previously served as vice president and as oil minister, was sworn in as Venezuela's interim president in early January after the United States deposed President Nicolás Maduro. The interim administration and visiting U.S. officials face a sizable challenge in rebuilding Venezuela's petroleum sector. The task was described in the interview as organizing the recovery of the country's oil industry after decades of underinvestment, mismanagement and U.S. sanctions, while also positioning U.S. investors to take priority in that recovery.
Despite her role as interim president, Rodríguez told NBC she continues to regard Maduro as the legitimate head of state. "I can tell you President Nicolás Maduro is the legitimate president. I will tell you this as a lawyer, that I am. Both President Maduro and Cilia Flores, the first lady, are both innocent," she said. The interview noted that Maduro is being held in the United States on drugs and weapons charges.
The comments underscore a complex political and economic transition in Venezuela, in which the interim leadership must address the condition of the oil sector while public statements maintain a stance of legal support for Maduro and his spouse. The involvement of a senior U.S. energy official in Caracas and the reported invitation to visit the United States indicate continuing dialogue between Venezuelan interim authorities and U.S. policymakers.
Summary of reporting: Delcy Rodríguez confirmed an invitation to visit the United States and stated a visit is being considered pending establishment of cooperation. Her remarks were released as U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright was in Caracas. Rodríguez, sworn in as interim president in early January after the United States deposed Nicolás Maduro, said she believes Maduro remains the legitimate president and that both he and Cilia Flores are innocent. She and visiting U.S. officials face a substantial task rebuilding Venezuela's oil industry after decades of underinvestment, mismanagement and U.S. sanctions.